Iranian American Ellis Island Honorees
The Ellis Island Medal of Honor is presented by the National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations (NECO) to honor the contributions made by immigrants to the United States, their home countries and traditions, and the legacy they leave behind for the next generations. According to NECO, the honorees, who include native-born and naturalized U.S. citizens from diverse backgrounds, are said to "exemplify outstanding qualities in both their personal and professional lives, while continuing to preserve the richness of their particular heritage." The Ellis Island Medals of Honor have officially been recognized by the United States House of Representatives and United States Senate Honor.
Approximately 100 Medalists from different countries are honored each year. Each Medalist's name is read into the Congressional Record. Six Presidents, as well as Nobel Prize winners and leaders of industry, education, the arts, sports and government, have been recognized as Medalists in the past. Numerous Iranian Americans have been honored by NECO as Medalists for their contributions to this country and their desire and ability to keep the Iranian history and culture alive. We are honored to include their names here.
Iranian American Honorees from inception to 2013 (in alphabetical order):
Dr. Kaveh Alizadeh
- President of Long Island Plastic Surgical Group
- Former Assistant Secretary of State for Educational and Cultural Affairs
- Senior Advisor at U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission
- Cof-ounder and Chairman of Prodea Systems, Inc.
- Co-founder and President of Prodea Systems, Inc.
Michael S. Ansari
- Founder, Chairman, President, and Chief Executive Officer of M.I.C. Industries, Inc.
- Chairman of the Parman Group
- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Aviation Leasing Group of Companies (ALG)
- Founder & Executive Director of Pars Equality Center and Unique Zan Foundation
Homayoun Firouztash - Partner, Centurion Holdings, LLC.
- President and Co-founder of the H.A.N.D. Foundation , Philanthropist, Entrepreneur
Mr. Vahid Kooros, founder of Oxus Energy LLC, businessman and philanthropist
Mr. David Merage, Principal, Consolidated Investment Group and philanthropist
- Vice President of Internet Business Solutions Group at Cisco
-Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer of Wells Fargo
- Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer, AMB Property Corporation
Dr. Reza Momeni
- Plastic Reconstructive Cosmetic Surgeon
- Managing Director, Chief Investment Officer- Private Wealth Management, Goldman Sachs
Yasmin Motamedi - Executive Director, Middle Eastern Affiars Department at U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Vali R. Nasr, PhD
- Middle East scholar, foreign policy adviser and commentator on international relations
Ali A. Saberioon
- President and Chief Executive Officer, Sabco Oil and Gas Corp.
Dr. Pardis Sabeti, Associate Professor, Center for Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, Senior Associate Member of the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT
- Vice President and Director of International Public Policy at Goldman and Sachs
Dr. Hosein Shokouh-Amiri - Transplant Surgeon
Morris M. Shirazipour - CEO, Aero Toy Store
Taraneh Sohrab - Banker
- Founder of the U.S.-Azerbaijan Chamber of Commerce (USACC) and President of Anglo Asian Mining PLC
- Vice President and General Manager at Boeing
- Senior Vice President of Business Integration and Chief Information Officer, Edison International