Executive Director (ED)
This position will report to the Chair and Vice-Chair of the PAAIA Board of Directors. The position requires some travel.
- Understanding and deep passion for the Iranian-American community
- Strong marketing, public relations experience to position PAAIA accurately with the public
- Outgoing with strong communication skills and an ability to easily connect with people in groups or one-on-one
- Fluency in both Farsi and English with ability to present in front of large and small audiences
- Vision and strategic ability to conceive and implement initiatives to promote PAAIA
- Operations and management skills to run the organization, attend to its finances, develop and implement programs, manage PAAIA personnel, and adhere to good governance
- Bachelor or master’s degree.
- Grant writing experience
- Practical knowledge of the American political system
- Familiarity and prior experience leveraging technology to support the organization’s messaging
- Prior experience in a non-profit setting and working with board of directors
- Five years plus experience in related fields.
ED Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute the strategic and operational plan for PAAIA – Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors` Executive Committee to develop and execute a strategic and operational plan that furthers the goals of the organization as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Develop initiatives and programs – Initiate and manage programs that address each of the three core pillars of PAAIA (influence building, bridge building between people of US and Iran and, promoting community leaders of tomorrow). Continuously evaluate and accordingly refine programs to ensure their continued applicability to PAAIA objectives.
- Direct PAAIA’s political initiatives and activities– Work with the Director of Government Affairs and Policy to represent the organization within political circles, identify and support credible Iranian American and American candidates for public office, and serve as a liaison between the parent board and PAAIA’s affiliated political action committee, the Iranian American Political Action Committee (IAPAC).
- Manage IA-100 Outreach – Actively develop and implement outreach programs that engage the IA-100 (the name for PAAIA’s membership and c-3 entity), provide information, encourage collaboration, and enable information-sharing through the use of a variety of mechanisms (e.g., website, newsletters, surveys, interviews, op-eds, etc.).
- Manage staff and office functions– Lead and actively manage a small, dedicated team with requisite expertise to execute the strategic and operational plan. Work with external legal, accounting, and other firms to meet PAAIA’s operational needs. Respond to inquiries and issues.
- Manage organizational budget - Develop and actively manage the budget in conjunction with the Board of Directors` Finance Committee, and manage a stable cash flow to fund the organization’s various activities.
- Raise funding for the organization – Work actively with the Board of Directors` Development Committee to maintain ongoing communication with and outreach to the IA-100 and major donors, and develop and implement events, as needed, to raise funds for the organization. Write or bring about writing of grants.
- Report to and communicate with the Board – Routinely interact with and keep the PAAIA Board of Directors informed of the organization’s status and programs.
- Drive Media and external communications – Serve as the public face of the organization, interacting with various Iranian American and American media and other organizations to promote PAAIA’s interests.
- Social and electronic media communications – Oversee communications through the social media including PAAIA’s website, Facebook, and serve as editor in chief of PAAIA’s News Letter.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be commensurate with skill and experience level, in addition to health benefits.
Interested individuals should e-mail summary of qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY WITH PAAIA
The Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans (PAAIA DC) offers both fall and spring semester internship opportunities to graduate, college and university students to work in our Washington, D.C. office.
The best-suited individuals will be students of political science, public policy, history, economics and journalism. Excellent written and oral communication skills and computer fluency (mainly MS Office and Windows OS applications) are necessary. Persian fluency is not required but considered an advantage in selection of the successful applicant(s).
Interns work on various projects and assignments. Duties include but are not limited to research on public policy programs and related activities, assisting with planning of events, program implementation, logistical support for staff activities, and other administrative tasks.
PAAIA accepts interns throughout the year and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
To apply: Please send resume, cover letter, writing sample and references to email@example.com or fax us at 202-828-8371.